[DWJ] Hello again, and beards

Jameela Lares jameela.lares at usm.edu
Tue Sep 9 11:39:35 EDT 2014

> Can *Tom's Midnight Garden* and *Marianne Dreams* be far behind?

I am a bit surprised by this question for the latter title, since the edition I read mentioned some film adaptation or other. And if Wikipedia can be trusted--always an issue!--"Marianne Dreams has been the basis of several film, TV and radio adaptations, including the 1972 British ITV children's TV series Escape Into Night (which was quite faithful to the novel), and the movie Paperhouse (which was less so). The author adapted it herself as an opera libretto in 1999: the first performance of the opera Marianne Dreams took place in 2004 with music by the British composer Andrew Lowe Watson. Will Tuckett directed a new adaptation by Moira Buffini at the Almeida Theatre in December 2007."

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037