[DWJ] Hello again, and beards

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 13:25:27 EDT 2014

Nic,

oh, that's interesting, given that her public statement on the film was
that she "quite liked it." (There is a short video readily available on
Youtube in which she's being interviewed about it).

Miyazaki, in a 2005 interview with *Newsweek *reporter Devin Gordon, said
that HMC was "profoundly affected by the war in Iraq" which the US had just
begun; he was quite angry about it, apparently. So, whereas WWII
undoubtedly did affect him in a more indirect sense, as it did Jones,
current affairs at the time were a more direct influence on that film. Too
much so, IMO, no matter what one thinks about that situation.

thanks, Nic.

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English