[DWJ] Hello again, and beards

Nic W eawil3 at email.wm.edu
Mon Sep 8 12:30:36 EDT 2014

When I was lucky enough to visit DWJ in 2007, she asked me what I'd thought
of the movie, since Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite book in the world
ever.  I was hesitant to criticize, but told her that I'd hoped it would be
a closer adaptation.  (I'd have been happy to see a movie as faithful as
the BBC Pride and Prejudice miniseries.  Six hours of HMC incorporating
practically every line of dialog from the book?  YES PLEASE.)  She laughed
and said that she'd enjoyed some adaptations of her work, but though she
liked Miyazaki, she felt kind of as if she'd "sold Howl and Sophie into
slavery" with the rights for the movie.

She did say something else about it that fascinated me:  Both she and
Miyazaki had felt the impact of World War II, but obviously not the same
way.  She said she thinks that the differences in their experiences are why
she put the big war between two books - after Howl's Moving Castle but
before Castle in the Air - and dealt with it indirectly, while Miyazaki
made it more immediate, moving it into the middle of HMC.

- Nic