[DWJ] Hello again, and beards

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Sep 8 12:05:36 EDT 2014

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014, Martha Hixon wrote:
> I've
> decided that Miyazaki is such a strong storyteller himself that he isn't
> good at adapting the work of others.

His worldview and universe building is so strong and gorgeous that his
flavor can come into conflict with another strong flavor. I wasn't thrilled
with his Borrowers adaptation, either, but his overall sweetness was less
in conflict with that book. HMC is a deliciously snarky book, and Miyazaki
is so soaringly epic and sweet. Both Miyazaki and DWJ have great respect
for domesticity, and I think that's something the film did very well,
because it's something inherent in both of their styles.

-deborah