[DWJ] Age in F&H

Janet Eastwood janet.eastwood at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 13:22:34 EDT 2014

Kyra, it's been a private game of mine to figure out the ages and birthdays of people in books for years, but you leave me entirely in the dust with your calculations on Howl (the question of leap years always threw me, also the different number of days in each month - I could get down to how many years and what fraction of a year Howl was at Midsummer, but not much further than that) and now Tom. Seriously impressive!
So now a question (or two):
1. How do you calculate the ages of the characters in Dark Lord of Derkholm and Year of the Griffin? In DLD, Shona is 17, Kit is 15, Blade and Calette are 14, Don and Lydda are 13, and Elda is 10. Titus is roughly 17, Reville unknown but in the 17-25 range, and Sukey is roughly 17. (I know I'm missing Geoffrey; his age is never given even in "he looked about x years" terms.) In YG (8 years after DLD), Elda would then be 18, Ruskin is 35, Blade and Callette are 22, and Kit is 23. But what about Claudia, Titus, and Lukin? Claudia met Blade when she was 14, which if I assume was during the last year of the tours makes her 22 (Derk does visit some uncooperative marshfolk, with Blade tagging along to do the translocations for the two of them); but there's no indication of when she met him - it could have been earlier. For some reason my notes include a faint penciling of 17 or 18? Titus was 9 the year Claudia was born, which adds to the confusion, because if Titus was approximately 17 during the last tour, he would be 25 in YG, which would make Claudia 8 during DLD and 16 during YG. 16 seems much too young for Claudia to be going to the University; also, as Blade is 22, makes his attraction to her (in YG) slightly less likely. And then Lukin. His mother took the children and left King Luther when Lukin was 10. This was during the tours, but we don't know how long before they ended. When Luther mentions this fact to Querida during the meeting at the beginning of DLD, there is no indication that everyone else either was shocked, or knew this already. Have you caught any other references that would pinpoint these more precisely?
Sorry for the lack of page numbers!
2. And question two, I co-run a blog (if co- can be used on one of four), and I'm planning a post on characters' birthdays, starting a list of whose birthdays are when. I like to celebrate favourite characters' birthdays; JKR has been most helpful this way. Would you mind if I give Howl's birthday, according to your math? If so, how would you like to be cited?
Janet