[DWJ] Age in F&H

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at keyfitz.org
Tue Oct 7 12:06:00 EDT 2014

On Tue, 7 Oct 2014, Irina Rempt wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Oct 2014, Joe Nankivell wrote:
>>  The age of Christ at his crucifixion?
>>
>>  Yes, that's what I thought too. (Not until I read "*Easter* egg", though.
>>
>>      Irina

I was going to say that I was a bit surprised that DWJ would choose that
significance, but I bet it's actually Laurel wanting to coopt extra bits
of power. (I'm half-remembering something about someone trying to get out
of being sacrificed by saying that they're connected to something
Christian, and the person who wants to do the sacrificing is all, "ooh,
goody, more power"--what on earth is that from? I know it's super vague,
but I bet someone here knows what I'm talking about.)

Also, I find it utterly surreal that I am now *older than Tom is* at the
end of the book. What? Me? Naw. Relatedly, though, I'm looking forward to
rereading a bunch of books as an older person, as a mother, etc.--I reread
A Sudden Wild Magic last year when my son was the same age as Marcus. And
while I absolutely would also have forgotten to bring toys, just like
Zillah, thinking about the sheer logistics of "oh, lordy, the *diapers*!"
and "but where will he sleep? Did Marcus take naps? Because they're not
mentioned" and the spare clothes--nope, I wouldn't have gotten on the bus.
And the last time I read an Anastasia Krupnik book, it was great because I
still totally understood child-Anastasia's thoughts and emotions, but I
also had so much empathy for her parents, who are awesome parents; and yet
I could still see how they were *so embarrassing*.

Xander: So, you just went home?
Buffy: What was I supposed to do? Say to Owen, "Sorry I
 	was late. I was sitting in a cemetery with the
 	librarian waiting for a vampire to rise so I could
 	prevent an evil prophecy from coming to pass"?
Xander: Or, "Flat tire"?
 		--"Never Kill a Boy on the First Date,"
 			"Buffy the Vampire Slayer"