[DWJ] Incoherent Notes on THB and Shelley

hschinske at aol.com hschinske at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 11:52:26 EDT 2014

I agree 100% about the translator!

Helen

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyra Jucovy <arykiy at gmail.com>
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Wed, Oct 1, 2014 7:00 pm
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Incoherent Notes on THB and Shelley

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:00 AM, <hschinske at aol.com> wrote:

> Kyra, I hate to spoil the story about Plotinus, but I think that's
> probably a mistranslation. I suspect the apparent reference to
menstruation
> has more to do with contemporary theories of embryology, and he means
> something more like what we would call protoplasm -- raw
people-stuff. In
> other words, beauty isn't about flesh and blood.
>
> Helen, I can't say I'm not disappointed that your erudition is
getting in
the way of my amusement, but I have to admit I'm not surprised - it
always
seemed too good to be true ;-)  I suppose what helped to mislead me is
that
I encountered the same mistranslation twice, once in the printed text
where
I first encountered Plotinus and then again on the Internet.
Presumably,
the logical explanation is that this translation is the readily
available
one because it is an older (and thus less colloquial by my standards)
one
that's therefore public domain, which explains both its prevalence and
its
oddity.  If I must love Plotinus less, then I guess I can transfer some
of
my affection to the translator, who somehow not only managed to
translate
the original so bizarrely but also succeeded in having it become the
standard public domain version that would then be propagated forever on
the
Internet ;-)

----Kyra