[DWJ] Philip Pullman and CS Lewis (was RE: Incoherent Notes on THB and Shelley)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Oct 1 15:04:33 EDT 2014

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, Janet Eastwood wrote:
> Deborah, would you mind expanding on Pullman being of Lewis's party without realizing it? I can see the similarities in the heroic
> adventure, children growing up and sacrificing (not necessarily in that order), battling corrupt adults, and allying with good, Otherized
> adults/forces, but for all its beauty, Pullman's writing has an anger in it that I don't see in Lewis's. (I would love it if he were,
> though!)

The way I read the trilogy, especially The Amber Spyglass, is
that there's a metaphysics that is exactly like CS Lewis's, and
the only thing that has been made topsy-turvy is which is good
and which is bad. I might say that the trilogy *agrees* the
nylons and boys will bring you out of the kingdom of heaven -- it
just thinks that's a *good* thing.

In fact, it's pretty explicit that puberty and emergent sexuality
causes the death of Innocence. It's just that the Narnia books
see permanent Innocence (especially as embodied in Lucy) as the
ideal which leads to endless youth. And the HDM books see
permanent Innocence as a creeping horror which intercision was
attempting to create.

-deborah