[DWJ] Incoherent Notes on THB and Shelley

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Oct 1 11:20:08 EDT 2014

Two notes:

1. Kyra's notes are so awesomely extensive that I actually had to
push them through the mailing list software manually because it
assumed the message that long couldn't possibly be legitimate.
\o/

2. Every time I think about Milton in conversation with later
English literature, I think about Blake, but I'm not sure where I
would go with connecting Blake to DWJ. Although now that I am
saying that I feel like there is probably something awesome to
say about William Blake  and Homework Bounders.

Goodness, the more I think about that the more  I want to explore
it. It was mostly just noodling at first, given how Blakian
Helen's world can feel, but now I am thinking about Innocence and
Experience and Jamie and... Somebody write me this paper, okay?

(The children's fantasy author I usually want to talk about in
relation to Blake is of course Philip Pullman, although  probably
not in a way Pullman would approve of.  His Dark Material is so
lovingly influenced by  Blake in many ways, and yet  what it always
makes me think of is the way that William Blake said of Milton
that he was of the devil's party without knowing it. And what I
often find about  the HDM trilogy is that for all it seems to be
so infuriated with CS Lewis all the time, it seems very much to
be of CS Lewis's party without knowing it.)

-deborah