[DWJ] Is this a first edition?

Joe Nankivell oddenda at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 06:01:46 EST 2014

That sounds like a 'true' first edition to me. Macmillan weren't using
number lines to indicate what printing they'd reached. I have a 1983
reprint of this same hardback and which says 'Reprinted 1978 (twice), 1983,
by Macmillan Children's Books, a division of Macmillan London Ltd. blah
blah blah'.

It's a pity about the jacket. It's by Ionicus, who designed the covers for
the Penguin PG Wodehouse series, and it matches Chrestomanci perfectly – if
not Gwendolen so much. (Which Wodehouse character does Chrestomanci most
resemble? I'd choose Psmith myself.)

Joe