[DWJ] Mark Reads Deep Secret

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:08:27 EDT 2014

deborah at brightweavings.com>:

> For me, it's her references to fat people that I find off-putting, although
> it was interesting that Mark commented that she was showing fat people
> socializing in a normal context, and that was therefore a positive thing. I
> do think some fat prejudice maybe crept into her later works. I'd be happy
> to be told I'm wrong, but I saw a little here, and a little in Enchanted
> Glass. Which saddened me, particularly since Nan Pilgrim, in Witch Week,
> was
> an absolutely wonderful and unabashedly plump/fat and plain heroine.

I think in *Deep Secret*, it's largely got to do with Maree's
self-perception - she despises herself for having gained so much weight,
yet here are people even fatter who are living happy, fulfilled lives.
Apart from Maree, Zinka too is described as "plumpish", so I don't think
it's a consistent fat negativity - but there *is* a lot of description of
bulging stomachs and so on, and maybe that's unnecessary. And of course
*Nick's* attitude is absolutely despicable, but I think that's a deliberate
author choice.

Katta