[DWJ] Mark Reads Deep Secret

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 09:26:08 EDT 2014

> My understanding is that many Roma people consider all derivations of
> "gypsy" to be based on an offensive ethnic slur.  In this case, more to the
> point, it's specifically drawing on stereotypes -- what does "gypsyish"
> mean, if it's not drawing on romantic stereotypes of what it means to be
> Roma?

I'm not sure about "romantic" stereotypes - ethnic stereotypes, certainly,
but based on physical attributes rather than perceptions of culture. Like
calling Andrew "Nordic" (which he isn't either), though of course with the
difference that Nordic isn't a bad word.

I can't really speak for the offensiveness of gypsy as a term, but when it
comes to what I think is the Swedish equivalent (zigenare), I'd side-eye
anyone who used it now, but it was pretty much the term in use until the
70s/80s sometime, and before that even Romani people used it when speaking
about themselves to outsiders. (I've had a harder time finding out the
difference between Roma and Romani in English, but as I understand it, the
Roma are a subgroup of the Romani, and the word "gypsy" encompasses other
unrelated people as well.)

There are instances where I side-eye DWJ a bit. This one, I just go, "eh,
not up with the terms," but that doesn't mean I think everyone should have
my reaction to it. For some, it may matter more. For some it may even be a
deal-breaker.

Katta