[DWJ] Diana Wynne Jones Conference, Newcastle, UK: Special guest and registration now open

Lucy Pearson lucy.r.pearson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 12:16:12 EST 2014

Dear all,

I am pleased to announce that registration is now open for 'A Fantastic
Legacy: Diana Wynne Jones Memorial Conference', which will take place 5/6
September 2014 in Newcastle, UK. It is co-hosted by the Children's
Literature Unit at Newcastle University, and by Seven Stories, National
Centre for Children's Books.You can register online at
http://conferences.ncl.ac.uk/dwj/conferenceregistration/. We are very much
hoping that both academics and fans of Diana Wynne Jones will come along,
and thanks to sponsorship from the Catherine Cookson Foundation we're able
to offer discounted rates to both students and non-academics.

We're very excited to reveal that Diana's sister, Ursula Jones, will be
making a guest appearance at the conference! Ursula will be speaking about
her sister and about the experience of completing Diana's final book, *The
Islands of Chaldea. *

Other confirmed speakers include Laura Cecil, Diana's literary agent;
children's literature scholar Nicholas Tucker, who knew Diana as a child;
and scholar and fan Catherine Butler (UWE). The conference will also offer
the opportunity to explore Diana's extensive archive,  now held by Seven
Stories, National Centre for Children's Books. Archivist Hannah Izod will
talk about the archive and the insights revealed within.

The Call For Papers is still open and we welcome proposals for papers on
all aspects of Diana's life and work. The full CFP is available at
http://conferences.ncl.ac.uk/dwj/callforpapers/. As well as academic
papers, we welcome proposals for 'fandom track' sessions which may take a
more informal and fannish approach to Diana's work.

For more information please visit the conference
website<http://conferences.ncl.ac.uk/dwj/> or
email the conference organisers at dwjconference at gmail.com.
Please circulate to interested parties.

All the best,

Lucy
--
Lucy Pearson, Lecturer in Children's Literature
Newcastle University Children's Literature Unit