[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Time City

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 05:59:33 EST 2014

Kylie wrote

> Hexwood does my head in.  I've read it twice and could not really
> keep track of what was going on even in the reread when I was
> prepared for it!  That's one of the ones I'm not looking forward to
> so much when it comes up in the monthly list.

I found that it helped if instead of trying to think of it as some sort
of linear, or even rational, sequence, I thought of it as being like
the time-changes in "Tom's Midnight Garden" by Philippa Pearce, in which
the time-changes are arbitrary, caused by dreams.  Each time Tom went
back into the garden, it was different, and not in a way which followed
rules.

That way you can simply go along with it, rather than trying to work
out all the time what has happened "next".  It may not be "next", in
the wood.  The wood may have gone back round, for some reason or for no
reason you can readily work out as you read.

Minnow