[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Howl's Moving Castle

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jan 7 14:11:04 EST 2014

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014, Katarina Hjärpe wrote:

> I've seen a lot of praise for DRHE and to me it's one of her weaker
> stories, not because there's anything wrong with it but because nothing
> sticks out. The idea is neat, but the characters are vague. Though maybe
> it's just that it's a first-person story; most of those tend not to work as
> well on me as the third-person ones. (Deep Secret being a huge exception.)

Interestingly, I think my fondest DWJ short story feelings are
for DRHE. I tried on a reread to pin down what it is I love about
it and to a certain extent I think it's the seriousness that it
shares with Homeward Bounders (for which I have my fondest novel
feelings). There's a more weighty sense to the events then there
often are in DWJ.

Also it was my first literary exposure to polyandry, which I
thought was deeply, deeply cool.

-deborah