[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Howl's Moving Castle

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 14:03:37 EST 2014

Screwball comedy should be thought of as a snowball rolling down a slope.
It starts small and slow, gathers momentum and consequence and ends in a
crash. Think of that moment at the end of Bringing Up Baby when the
dinosaur collapses.

I realised recently that it's the comedy version of the horror trajectory
(which starts small and distant, and gets more terrifying and closer).

The key thing is that the increase in pace is geometric rather than linear:
when you map the increasing speed, it's a curve.

That may of course not help at all.

best
Farah

On 7 January 2014 14:08, Jameela Lares <jameela.lares at usm.edu> wrote:

> I have heard before of the screwball structure--as in film, screwball
> comedy?--applied to fiction.  I am not sure how the structure affects the
> ending. Could you explain further?
>
> Jameela Lares
> Professor of English
> The University of Southern Mississippi
> 118 College Drive, #5037
> Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001
> 601 266-4319 ofc
> 601 266-5757 fax

There is no such thing as a right time or a wrong time. There is only the
now. The future is made up of accumulated nows.