[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Howl's Moving Castle

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 04:06:58 EST 2014

On 7 January 2014 09:01, Kylie Ding <kylie_ding at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone else feel that the ending of HMC is rushed?  Even though I've
> read it quite a few times over the years it doesn't stick in my brain, and
> this time I was trying to pinpoint what the problem was.

They are all "rushed" in the sense that Jones has a preference for the
Screwball structure. This often works well (think of the tumbling of the
characters into the garden at the end of Charmed Life) but at other times
it's all too Agatha Christie-ish and we all assemble in the drawing room
(Conrad's Fate may be the worst).

Farah