[DWJ] Newcastle on Thursday

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Sun Aug 31 15:21:11 EDT 2014

Hello everybody,

Thursday is coming closer - I'm really looking forward to the conference and meeting some of you!

So far I have counted seven people (including myself) interested in getting together on Thursday:
Kylie, Elizabeth, Eleanor, S Leng (sorry, I didn't get the first name), Maria, Gili and me. Hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone...?

It seems that we are arriving at different times, some of us stay at the student accomodation (I am another one of them) and we have at least one thing in common: None of us really knows much about Newcastle :-)

After some internet research I'd suggest we meet at Grey's Monument. It seems pretty central, there is a metro station (both lines) close by (Monument) and with a column as meeting point it should be easy to spot the others. Also, from what I can tell from Google Maps and my guide book, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a pub or restaurant in that area. Of course, if any of you has found a pub or other place to meet, I'm open to suggestions.

As for the time: It looks like most people arrive during the afternoon, so maybe around 18.00 h? What do you think?
I understand 18.00 h would be a bit early for Elizabeth, but we could let you know which pub or restaurant we've decided on. Yay for mobile phones...

On that note: I'm happy to give my contact information to any of you off list (it's a German mobile phone number - so maybe for coordination a UK number would be a cheaper option for most of you?). If everythings goes to plan (there is some danger of an airline strike, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed), I'll be arriving in the early afternoon. I'd like to do some sightseeing - maybe Castle Keep and the Cathedral... If any of the "earlier arrivals" wants to meet up before, just tell me.

So... See you?

Bettina

PS: Deborah, I don't want to hijack the list for this planning - once we're sure who wants to meet we can take the discussion off list...