[DWJ] Archer's Goon and Passover

Jameela Lares jameela.lares at usm.edu
Wed Apr 9 08:39:12 EDT 2014

Fun, Gili!  Thanks!

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037
Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001
601 266-4319 ofc
601 266-5757 fax
From: dwj-bounces at suberic.net [dwj-bounces at suberic.net] on behalf of Gili Bar-Hillel [gbhillel at netvision.net.il]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 7:23 AM
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion
Subject: [DWJ] Archer's Goon and Passover

A friend posted on Facebook her 4-year old's version of the Four Sons from
the Passover Haggada.

To those of you who are not familiar with Jewish tradition, the four sons
are mentioned in the Haggada as representatives of four different types of
children, each of which requires a different educational approach if one is
to teach them the story of Passover. There is the wise son, the wicked son,
the simple son, and the son who knows not how to ask questions. There are
many symbolic interpretations of these characters, in which the four sons
variously represent different aspects of human nature, different stages of
personal development, different generations slipping towards assimilation,
etc.

Anyway, according to my friend's 4-year old, the story of the four sons
goes like this: all the sons hated the wicked son, and they ganged up on
him, and then he said he was sick and tired of this, all he ever wanted to
be was an astronaut, and he built a spaceship and lifted off to outer
space.

To me this very strongly evoked Archer's Goon. I thought about it a bit.
Hathaway is the wise son, Archer the wicked son, Erskine the simple son,
and Venturus the son who knows not how to ask questions. And Torquil?
Torquil is Pharoah, of course!

Happy spring holidays!

Gili