[DWJ] Thoughts on The Children in the Wood (or thoughts inspired by it, rather)

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 15:48:44 EDT 2013

I haven't read the essay, but I understand this is make believe games?
> I'm British and the same age as you and also played these in
> mixed-gender groups (and with one boy in particular).  But there was an
> abrupt change when we were around 9 where the girls and the boys pretty
> much stopped talking to each other.  I think we started mixing again
> when we started secondary school at 11, but still most primary friend
> groups were single gender, with the boundaries slowly relaxing as we
> got older.

That happened with us too, come to think of it, at least in school. Not so
much in the play yard, but we stopped going there as often as we grew
older. In my teen years, most of my friends were girls, though not all, but
by then, we (sadly) weren't playing those games anymore. (Though I kept
playing in my own room, with the blinds drawn.)

Katarina