[DWJ] Thoughts on The Children in the Wood (or thoughts inspired by it, rather)

Caroline Mills carrie at pitofdespair.org
Sat Sep 7 15:43:52 EDT 2013

> I started reading Reflections and had a recognizing smile on my face during
> "The Children in the Wood" until I got to the part about the one-sex nature
> of the games, at which point I went, "Huh? NOPE." Because we played those
> games in mixed groups - not always, but if there were more than two or
> three of us, then very likely.

I haven't read the essay, but I understand this is make believe games?
I'm British and the same age as you and also played these in
mixed-gender groups (and with one boy in particular).  But there was an
abrupt change when we were around 9 where the girls and the boys pretty
much stopped talking to each other.  I think we started mixing again
when we started secondary school at 11, but still most primary friend
groups were single gender, with the boundaries slowly relaxing as we
got older.

Caroline