[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along

Kylie Ding kylie_ding at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 10:23:18 EDT 2013

One of the reasons I took so long to read both The Skiver's Guide and "The
Shape of the Narrative of The Lord of the Rings" is I just don't enjoy
non-fiction as much as DWJ's novels.  The Skiver's Guide was very funny and
I laughed out loud on occasion, but it's only something I can dip into.  I'm
going to have the same problem when we get to The Tough Guide.

I was very amused in The Skiver's Guide wondering how much of the skiving
tips came from DWJ's personal experience, possibly from being the skiver, or
possibly as a parent to sons.  I kept thinking that my daughter must not be
allowed to get her hands on this book!  Though as a former skiver myself I'm
already onto her tricks.

"The Shape of the Narrative of the Lord of the Rings" was really wasted on
my as I've never managed get more than half way through The Lord of the
Rings, and the last attempt was more than 20 years ago.  I can't say it
inspired me to try again.

Kylie