[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along

Ellen Willcox eawil3 at email.wm.edu
Sun Nov 10 12:38:06 EST 2013

I've always loved "The Plague of Peacocks."  Certainly it is funny and
wonderful overall, but I also connected with the part when Daniel Emanuel
and his sister are told by Mrs. Platt the horrifying story of the
crucifixion.  My family are atheists, and not particularly aggressive about
it, but the discovery of that fact was always a major shock to other people
in our small, conservative, Southern US town.  Once, when my brother and I
were children, a babysitter made and earnest and pretty scary attempt to
convert us, then told us not to tell our parents.  (Naturally, we did, and
that sitter did not come back.)  When I first read "The Plague of
Peacocks," I hit that scene and thought, "Yes!  I remember that!"  At least
my little brother didn't go off and try to crucify himself afterward . . .

- Nic