[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along

Philip Belben philip at axeside.co.uk
Thu Nov 7 04:22:08 EST 2013

> We are reading Howl's Moving Castle; also "No One"  found in (Warlock at the
> Wheel, Everard's Ride and Minor Arcana) and "Dragon Reserve Home Eight"

I've rather dropped out of the read-along, but I'd just like to put my
bit in and say I really love DWJ's AI characters.  No One, of course,
and Elio in Time City.

Few writers really do distinctive AI characters as well as she does.
Clifford Simak?  Iain Banks?  I can't think of any others.

Dragon Reserve Home Eight, on the other hand, has a special place for me
not just because of the metallivorous dragons (which are splendid), but
because it was the first place I encountered the word "manifold" meaning
"multiverse".  "Manifold" is a much nicer word for it, but AFAIK the
only other writer who uses it this way is Stephen Baxter.

Philip.