[DWJ] Fire and Hemlock

Kylie Ding kylie_ding at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 7 00:58:22 EST 2013

I actually read this as soon as I finished Archer's Goon.  I pulled it out
ready to read last month, but just read a few pages and all of the sudden I
was at the end.  It still ranks as one of the best books I've ever read, and
even after however many rereads it is I still can't put it down.

This time I read it very carefully.  I wanted to see how all the pieces came
together, including Stow-on-the-Water, Tom Piper and Leslie; and also get a
good handle on what happened at the end.

I spent some time googling essays on the ending, and the best I have found I
believe was posted to the list when it was originally written:
http://www.redhen-publications.com/hemlock.html.  That cleared a lot of
things up for me, but left me wondering what that duel between Tom and
Morton Leroy was all about.  As in, was there any way either of the
participants could have done anything to win?  It seems the only way to win
was to do nothing and wait for  your opponent to do something, which would
then cause them to lose.  Though possibly Tom could have given up Polly, and
I guess Morton could have given up Laurel, but then he would have died
anyway.

Kylie