[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along

Carol Carr coracleg at gmail.com
Tue May 14 06:09:58 EDT 2013

Hello DWJ lovers, from a New Zealand reader.

Forgettery was known in my childhood years (used by someone who no longer
claims to have a memory).
As for "forgettle" - I am sure there has been a kettle called the
Forgettle, which I have seen adverts for.
..Of course, when I did a Search I found it had a proper history!
http://www.wordsense.eu/forgettle/
http://www.definitions.net/definition/forgettle

I have just moved house, and among the comforting things I have been doing
before and after the move, is to read lots of DWJ books. Witch Week has
just been read.
Its date of writing explains a lot - its idiom is still late 70s (Grange
Hill etc) and conventional boarding school stories. But it adds some great
fun, some lovely insights into the minds of girls and boys at the 11-12 age
group, and a light on the Related Worlds in her early years of writing
about them.
It is, I think, more about children and their concerns than about magic.
Magic is just the vehicle for the plot.

Carol