[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along

Philip Belben philip at axeside.co.uk
Sun May 12 11:45:11 EDT 2013

First, I must confess that I've not been keeping up with the read-along,
and I haven't read WW for a year or three.

Interesting comment about mutations, Sally, but that doesn't really fit
my view of the ending.

To me, the ending works because Jones gets out of the forgettery ending.
  I've always liked "it was all a dream but..." endings - like that of
"The Master", which I had long wished to be able to use myself, if I had
been a writer.

Here, it looks as though it will be a forgettery ending until we get
that little scene in which Charles notices that he still has the blister
from the candle incident, and absently colours it with his red pen.  I
think that Charles, for one, is not going to forget, even if the others
do; or if they think it was a dream (as Harold seems to).

The let-down for me is the implication that our world - or rather, XII-B
- now has something in it from the Witch Week world, where all its magic
had been hidden.  So surely XII-B should have got its magic back?
Apparently not.

Philip.

On 09/05/2013 01:36, Sally Odgers wrote:
> I don't like forgettery or all-a-dream endings either, Roberta, but
> in this case it makes sense. That world was damaged in its DNA. It
> was, if you like, a mutation too far, like a tree that's all trunk
> and no branch. Mutations-too-far sometimes develop here (animals with
> no eyes, for example) but they generally don't survive out of their
> environment. A fish that can't see is not at a disadvantage in a dark
> place where the light can't penetrate but if you put it in a sunlit
> pond it can't compete.
>
> Sally Odgers
>
> On Wed, 8 May 2013 10:51:04 -0700, Roberta Klarreich

[...]