[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along

Roberta Klarreich rklarreich at gmail.com
Wed May 8 13:51:04 EDT 2013

Hello all, longtime lurker here. I discovered DWJ as an adult, about five
years ago, starting with "Charmed Life," and devoured them all as quickly
as I could.

I'd like to start the discussion of Witch Week by bringing up something
that's always bothered me. What do you all think of the ending? I've always
really enjoyed this book--it's so much fun, there are so many colorful
characters and hilarious situations, and the underlying dire situation for
witches gives it a real bite. It's one of the only books I've read that
have made me laugh out loud in public (once in a pizza parlor, once on the
bus). But the ending is a real letdown to me. I always dislike endings that
result in the characters forgetting the whole adventure, and in this story
they forget their entire existence--it melts away. I wish DWJ had come up
with a solution that allowed their distinct world to remain itself, instead
of essentially throwing these interesting characters and relationships
away. I do think the Guy Fawkes angle and the weaving in of Simon's earlier
enchantment are inventive, I just wish she had done something else with
them.

Does anyone else feel this way, or are you comfortable with the way she
resolved it?

Roberta Klarreich