[DWJ] Audiobooks

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu May 2 11:53:09 EDT 2013

Last year I was on an audio book award committee, so I listened
to many, many audio books. The audio book for Earwig and the
Witch was quite sweet; definitely had the flavor of the book.

Not DWJ, my favorites from last year were Mighty Miss Malone by
Christopher Paul Curtis, read by Bahni Turpin who read the
absolutely amazing audio book for True Meaning of Smekday a
couple of years ago; and the absolutely stellar audio book for
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein read by Lucy Gaskell and
Morven Christie.

I also really liked The Freedom Maze by Delia Sherman, read by
Robin Miles (slightly problematic text, but really an excellent
reading). Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai, narrated by
Doan Ly, was not a taste for everyone; free verse is difficult to
narrated an audio book. But I adored it. And Rachel Hartman's
Seraphina, narrated by Mandy Williams and Justine Eyre, gets
across the mellow sweetness of the book quite well.