[DWJ] Information about the original publication of Charmed Life (fwd)

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 05:36:24 EST 2013

Here it is! This is from the fourth (1983) reprint:

Front flap:

Gwendolen Chant was obviously destined for Great Things. The cards said she
was going to rule the world, though Cat, her brother, didn't see how that
was possible. He thought there must be some mistake. But everyone in Coven
Street believed in Gwendolen's future, including Mr Nostrum who was
tutoring her in witchcraft for nothing. Or so he said. Cat didn't care much
for Mr Nostrum, and even less for his brother, Mr William Nosturm, but he
agreed with them over his sister's powers. She was a very strong witch.
So no one was surprised when the elegant stranger – a Dark Stranger, of
course – appeared, and the two young Chants were translated from seedy
Coven Street to the grandeur of Chrestomaci Castle. It was very luxurious
and pleasant at the Castle. Cat would have enjoyed it thoroughly if he
hadn't been so terrified by Chrestomanci himself. Who *was* Chrestomanci?
Why were they there?
Gwendolen didn't waste time wondering. All too plainly, Chrestomanci
doubted her magical ability. Well, she would show him! At which Cat became
even more terrified. There was no limit to what his sister might do in this
mood, and something told him Chrestomanci was not a person to be trifled
with. It was even possible, though Cat could not quite believe it, that he
was . . . an *enchanter*. In which case Gwendolen might easily Go Too Far.

Winner of the 1978 Guardian Award for children's fiction.

Jacket design by Ionicus

ISBN 0 333 21426 9
Macmillan £6.95 net

Back flap:

"By now we can trust Diana Wynne Jones to sustain daylight magic with
aplomb, humour and total logic . . . employed to carry through a bold
intriguing invention, in which human frailties and idiosyncracies are
unerringly related to the distantly reverberating sounds of
myth-psychology." *Growing Point

*"Magic is tricky stuff to handle, forcing writers to extremes. They tend
to rely either on gimmicks or on heavy symbolism. Diana Wynne Jones
superbly avoids these pitfalls. She manages to combine hilariously funny
and ingenious magic with a very credible and satisfying story." *Times
Literary Supplement*

"What different uses, one thinks can be made of tales of magic. Diana Wynne
Jones is intent on illuminating certain depths of human character, and of
the nature of the artist." *Times Educational Supplement

*"Diana Wynne Jones is as inventive as she is witty." *Sunday Times

*