[DWJ] new book preview

Sally Odgers sally at sallyodgers.com
Sat Jun 29 21:12:57 EDT 2013

Hey Philip! Good to hear from you again. My legal name was Sally
Patricia Farrell. Sally because Dad liked it, Patricia after Mum and
Farrell because it was their surname.
However - when I married Darrel Odgers I slipped Farrell in as a third
Christian name. I did this partly because they had no sons and with my
sister and me married, the name thus ends with Dad.

I wrote under "Sally Farrell Odgers". This proved problematical as my
books were shelved, variously, as being by Odgers, Sally, Farrell
Odgers, Sally, Farrell-Odgers, Sally, Odgers, Sally Farrell and
Farrell, Sally. It was a clerical disaster. These days I use "Sally
Odgers" when I'm not using a pen name.
To complicate the issue even more, I discovered Dad's father, Arthur
 Charles Farrell, was registered as Arthur Charles Powell and wasn, in
fact, born some years after his next brother up Matthew Farrell, who
was a POSThumous child of John Farrell! At some point between that
registration and his marriage in 1901, Arthur Charles began using the
same surname as three of his elder half-brothers. His younger
half-sister (reg. Louisa Dixon) followed suit. The eldest brother,
Robert Flem(m)ing, seems to have not had anything to do with the other
children. The mother in the case, Lydia Cummins
Gillard-Flem(m)ing-Farrell-Powell-Dixon chose to die and be buried as
"Louisa Farrell" so maybe she liked John the best of her men. I am
still trying to work out if she was a bigamist or a trigamist...
certainly she was peripatetic.

Sally Odgers

Coming briefly out of lurk to say: