[DWJ] new book preview

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Jun 27 19:30:18 EDT 2013

Two random thoughts - not really responses ...

One of the first things my sister ever learned in her first college
linguistics class was: everyone pronounces their own name correctly.
No matter what you think of their pronunciation, it's correct.

Apropos of Michael Marshall Smith, there is a USAlien writer
named Martin Cruz Smith [author of _Gorky Park_, for one]
who started out using Martin Smith. Somebody pointed out
he'd do a lot better if his name was more distinctive [there were
other Martin Smiths writing], so he added the Cruz.
[A little Googling reveals that it was his paternal grandmother's
surname.]

On Jun 27, 2013, at 7:38 AM, <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 01:16:55 +0100
> Eleanor Joslin <eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Moving a maiden name into a middle name position is not something
>> that happens much in Britain. (Never say never, but I don't know of
>> any examples.) Giving a family surname to a child as a forename seems
>> less common here too. So the most common assumption is that if a name
>> looks like a surname, it is one, although this may be changing as we
>> absorb forenames-that-used-to-be-surnames from the USA.
>
> I know at least six people in England with an extra surname in their
> name, including my ex's family who use the maternal grandmother's
> maiden name for the penultimate name of a first son and the paternal
> grandmother's maiden name for the penultimate name of the second son,
> then work up through the generations if they need to.  This family
> tradition does not include the girls.  Another one I've known is a child
> whose parents were not married, who has his father's and his mother's
> name with no hyphenation.  Yet another had father's and mother's
> surnames just because the parents had felt like adding the two together
> when they got married, as far as I can make out: she was the only child
> of an only child and wanted to keep that surname in her name, or
> something of the sort.
>
>> ISTR the English author Michael Marshall Smith is in the same boat as
>> DWJ name-wise; Marshall is his middle name and goes onto his books to
>> distinguish him from other Michael Smiths.

The cure for boredom is curiosity.

There is no cure for curiosity.