[DWJ] new book preview

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 21:20:10 EDT 2013

Eleanor,

It is very common here. But we still just treat the last name as the
surname, unless there is a hyphen. I remember when Hilary Clinton started
going by "Hilary Rodham Clinton" for awhile back in the 1990s, it really
stood out--reporters had to be told to refer to her as "Rodham Clinton,"
not "Mrs. Clinton."  Michelle Obama is just "Michelle Obama" or "Mrs.
Obama," never "Robinson Obama." (I'm using examples that everyone is
familiar with here).

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English