[DWJ] new book preview

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Wed Jun 26 20:16:55 EDT 2013

Moving a maiden name into a middle name position is not something that happens much in Britain. (Never say never, but I don't know of any examples.) Giving a family surname to a child as a forename seems less common here too. So the most common assumption is that if a name looks like a surname, it is one, although this may be changing as we absorb forenames-that-used-to-be-surnames from the USA.

ISTR the English author Michael Marshall Smith is in the same boat as DWJ name-wise; Marshall is his middle name and goes onto his books to distinguish him from other Michael Smiths.

Eleanor

On 26 Jun 2013, at 23:54, Martha Hixon <marthahixon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wondering: is this a British custom, or am I just behind the
> times?  If a name is hyphenated, it's clearly a double last name, but if
> not, we here in the States don't make that assumption, as far as my
> experience has shown. When I got married (long, long ago), I moved my
> maiden name to the middle name position and took my husband's last name,
> but no one has ever assumed (to my knowledge) that my last name is Pittman
> Hixon when I write it out in full.--I am always simply called
> "Professor/Dr./Mrs Hixon. I admit I rarely write it in full these days, but
> I did it most of the time for years after I was married.
>
> Martha
>
> Dr. Martha P. Hixon
> Department of English
> Middle Tennessee State University
> Murfreesboro, TN 37132
> 615-898-2599 / martha.hixon at mtsu.edu
>

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Otter Perry <
> ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote:
>
>> And Alexander McCall Smith's surname is McCall Smith, I understand.
>>
>> On Jun 26, 2013, at 11:28 AM, Jameela Lares wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, the name of the Welsh composer Ralph Vaughan Williams is not
>> hyphenated, but his surname is Vaughan Williams.
>>>
>>> Jameela Lares
>>> Professor of English
>>> The University of Southern Mississippi
>>> 118 College Drive, #5037