[DWJ] new book preview

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 18:54:58 EDT 2013

Just wondering: is this a British custom, or am I just behind the
times?  If a name is hyphenated, it's clearly a double last name, but if
not, we here in the States don't make that assumption, as far as my
experience has shown. When I got married (long, long ago), I moved my
maiden name to the middle name position and took my husband's last name,
but no one has ever assumed (to my knowledge) that my last name is Pittman
Hixon when I write it out in full.--I am always simply called
"Professor/Dr./Mrs Hixon. I admit I rarely write it in full these days, but
I did it most of the time for years after I was married.

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English
Middle Tennessee State University