[DWJ] new book preview

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Wed Jun 26 12:31:21 EDT 2013

On 26/06/13 17:19, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:00:11 +0100
> Meredith MacArdle <meredithxyz at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> There's a nice article about the new book on
>>
>>   *
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/24/diana-wynne-jones-final-book-sister
>
> Nice article, but oh how I do wish journalists would stop calling her
> "Wynne Jones" as if "Wynne" were a surname.  It isn't.  It's a girl's
> forename from Wales.  The surname is Jones.  They wouldn't call Mabel
> Lucy Atwell "Lucy Atwell", would they?
>
> This mistake means that she gets put in two places on library and
> bookshop shelves and people don't know whether to look for her work
> under W or J.

I have to admit I never thought of that.  I didn't know it was a
forename at all, and my understanding was that "Wynne Jones" was a
commonish two-part surname - not all two-part surnames have hyphens.
Was Wynne then her actual middle name?  And did she complain about the
way she was referred to in the press?

Eleanor