[DWJ] New DWJ book!!!

Gin kalaidiscope at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 01:52:25 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm not in publishing, but from reading other authors blogs, one year seems
to be a standard sort of time...

1. From the article, I would guess that the manuscript has only just been
turned in. (And Greenwillow and PW are just as excited as us! yeah!)

2. Note that the cover art is still being made- that is not something that
is going to happen overnight, the artist needs time

3.And the Proof reader needs to do her stuff- Again- not something to be
rushed

4. And then you need to organise ARCs, pre publication advertising and press

5. Get the manuscript off to the printers... and back from the printers.
Probably printed in Asia, you would need a month just for shipping, not to
mention that it has to be ON the factory schedule to print (Those printing
factories don't just sit around doing nothing waiting for a book- all of
the printing presses time will be scheduled months ahead- I don't know
about publishing, but I do know about manufacturing and factory overheads!)
Oh- and then it needs to be bound as well

6. So we have the book at the main warehouse- yeah! Then hopefully there
are quality checks, Reviewers copies to be sent in enough time for book
reviews...

7 Ship the copies to the bookstores....

8... Timed to when the reviews come out...

9. and then we get to buy them!

To be honest, you probably could do this in  8 months without much
effort... But the extra time is because THINGS DO GO WRONG ( again, that is
a lesson from manufacturing, rather than publishing, but some things are
similar)

I note that they tried to get Iain Bank's last book out before he died....
He finished the book in March, and it is due to be released in June... So
it can be done if you focus on it. But I'm willing to bet that there were
other books who had their publication dates rearranged, and some extra
costs in printing and shipping to be able to do that.

Regards

Gin