[DWJ] McKinley and racism (WAS recommendations)

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 12:19:33 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Eleanor Joslin <eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk>wrote:

> My head canon has Millie as white with mousy hair.  I don't remember her
> world's people being described as anything else, and I imagined her country
> as being sort-of congruent to Britain - after all, they speak English
> there.  For me, imagining stodgy, blotchy pale people like me being
> Heathens was part of the fun.  I also read Charmed Life first, so maybe I'd
> already internalised a pale Millie from there.

I read LoCC as a child and CL as an adult, so Millie for me is child
Millie. I read the book at roughly the same time as I read Rosemary
Harris's books about Biblical Egypt, so I always thought of Millie as
Egyptian, because it seemed so very much the same kind of society. (Harris
had a shitload of racist tropes, btw, but most of them were aimed at other
people than the Egyptians.)

And stodgy, blotchy pale people around these parts were Heathens quite late
in history... just a different kind of Heathens.

Katta