[DWJ] McKinley and racism (WAS recommendations)

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Wed Jul 31 10:28:26 EDT 2013

My head canon has Millie as white with mousy hair.  I don't remember her
world's people being described as anything else, and I imagined her
country as being sort-of congruent to Britain - after all, they speak
English there.  For me, imagining stodgy, blotchy pale people like me
being Heathens was part of the fun.  I also read Charmed Life first, so
maybe I'd already internalised a pale Millie from there.

I think DWJ liked to play with expectations about how race and culture
match up.  Another example is The Homeward Bounders, where Joris, who
comes from a poor, third-world, non-English-speaking country where his
family sold him into slavery, is white, and his owner (who must be the
nicest slaveowner I've ever read about) is brown.  Because they're from
another world, so why not?  Possibly with a gentle hint to white
children to think twice before assuming their skin colour entitles them
to anything.

I have trouble visualising the two peoples of Dalemark as truly
different races though.  I tend to think they must be two different
kinds of what I'd call white, like maybe Nordic and Slavic (not
literally, those are just examples).  I think that's partly because the
invaders come from the north (and I'm pretty sure from the weather
descriptions that Dalemark is in the northern hemisphere) and partly
because I can't easily picture people with brown skin and naturally fair
hair, unless their skin is only a little bit brown (e.g. white + suntan).

Eleanor