[DWJ] recommendations

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 07:26:06 EDT 2013

Tu Books (http://www.leeandlow.com/p/tu.mhtml) is well worth checking out,
for children's fantasy and science fiction that's racially inclusive. I've
only read two so far, but CAT GIRL'S DAY OFF is a very cute fantasy with a
mixed-race protagonist. Not at all a serious, issue type book, but that's
kind of the point. I also read TANKBORN, but found it a bit heavy-handed
and predictable, though very well-intentioned.

Sherwood Smith's CROWN AND COURT DUET was a huge hit with my two at about
that age (and with me, reading the books to them!), and in a few years your
partner's friend might be ready for the series Sherwood is writing with
Rachel Manija Brown - STRANGER, the first book, is being published next
year by Viking. I've read the first two as works in progress, and they're
wonderful, with many of the protagonists being mixed-race or POC.

Dorian got me hooked on the Magic Thief series by Sarah Prineas, for which
I'm extremely grateful. Wonderful characters, who quietly subvert gender
expectations in a variety of ways. The Winterling series is also very good
so far, though the humour of the Magic Thief books makes them my
favourites.

Finally, I don't think anyone has mentioned R. J. Anderson, though there
have been so many recs I might have missed it. ULTRAVIOLET would be too
old, but the Faery Rebel series is great. I think the US title of the first
book is SPELL HUNTER, and it's KNIFE in the UK.

Hallie