[DWJ] McKinley and racism (WAS recommendations)

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 20:04:18 EDT 2013

I wasn't offended, Erika, no worries. But it is a derogatory racial term,
even when a white person uses it. Given that, I was surprised to see it
casually used and I just assumed it meant something else overseas (not
knowing where you live, of course, and knowing this is an international
list). It's like hearing a woman call other women "bitches" in casual
conversation, for example--startling.

At any rate, yes, that is why Master has black skin in the beginning, but
the fact still remains that he isn't marriageable material for Mirasol
until that blackness is disposed of. That's pretty troubling, as is the
fact that she thinks of him always as "Master" and the fact that only
someone born to the bloodline that owns the demense can be the rightful
ruler and keep everything in balance. I actually do like McKinley's books
in general, but this book really bothered me on those bits, though I do
love the bees. Hm, so could associating red hair and fair skin with demon
blood be seen as an insult to the Irish?

Just to continue this thought, the fact that the little mermaid has to
change her ethnicity in order to be acceptable to her love interest (a
human white male), both in Andersen's story and especially in the Disney
film, is also troubling. As is Bella's obsession with becoming a vampire in
order to have Edward, etc.

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English