[DWJ] McKinley and racism (WAS recommendations)

erikagillian at gmail.com erikagillian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 18:00:01 EDT 2013

I never thought about Chalice that way, and yes it could be seen that way.  I think, though, the black skin was because of living in fire, so more lime charcoal black, but you're right, could be a very bad implication.

That motif, of a white person showing up and solving everything, is what I meant.  I don't think TV Tropes calls it by the name I used anymore but other people do.  I'm afraid I've never found that word offensive (being white and American) so I'm not careful how I use it.  I'm sorry if I've offended or hurt anyone.

Generally it's Blue Sword that gets the criticism and not Hero and the Crown as much.  Probably both the colonialism in Blue and the fact the light skin and red hair general meant demon blood in Hero.  But I've seen interesting discussions of both.