[DWJ] recommendations

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 17:26:22 EDT 2013

Recommendations:

> Lloyd Alexander (especially the Vesper Holly ones, which are fun, and the
Prydain ones, which are classic)
> Jeanne Birdsall's The Penderwicks series (neither fantasy nor mixed race,
but truly wonderful reads, and this is coming from a person who has always
vastly prefers fantasy to realistic fiction).
> Rick Riordan's various series using Greek, Roman, and Egyptian myths,
maybe?

I'd second L. Frank Baum, and I'd suggest keeping Garth Nix's Abhorsen
series for an older teen, as well as Alison Croggon's Pelinor series for
the same age. Duane's So You Want to be a Wizard series would be good for a
10-year-old, but not some of her others.

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English
Middle Tennessee State University