[DWJ] recommendations

Dorian E. Gray dorianegray at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 16:43:09 EDT 2013

Martha said...

Gillian,

> just wondering: in reference to McKinley's Damar books, what do you mean by
> ""it's a bit of a what they need is a honky"? Here in the States, "honky"
> is a derogatory racist term for a white person. I'm sure that's not what
> you mean, but I can't figure out your sentence :-).

It probably is what the OP means, actually.  The Damarians are described as
being dark-haired and brown-skinned (and are fairly blatantly, in "The Blue
Sword", equivalent to our-world Indian), while the heroines of both "The
Blue Sword" and "The Hero and the Crown" are pale-skinned foreigners.  The
books could be read as "those darkies can't sort out their own problems,
better get a whitey to sort things out for them".

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
dorianegray at gmail.com

"The Imperial Service could win a war without coffee, but would prefer not
to have to."
-- Lois McMaster
Bujold<http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16094.Lois_McMaster_Bujold>,
* Captain Vorpatril's Alliance<http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/18158616>