[DWJ] recommendations

Gillian Houck erikagillian at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 04:59:34 EDT 2013

McKinley, maybe Beauty first?  But Damar equally good.  There's a problem
with the Damars, at least with Blue Sword, it's a bit of a what they need
is a honky  but is also very good book about a young woman taking her life
into her own control.

I'm not the only one who's read Traveler in Time!  This isn't people of
color but has anyone read the two Elizabeth Marie Pope books?  One is a Tam
Lin story, set at the end of the reign of Mary Tudor, called the Perilous
Gard.  The other is set in Upstate New York, both in modern day (the 1950s,
I think) and the Revolutionary War.  I loved those books so much I never
forgave her for not writing more.  Arrggh! Just read this wikipedia page on
her and she was teaching at Mills College till 1982, when I was 17, having
already read those two books over and over, and she was only one town
away!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Marie_Pope

I've wanderd off the subject but Ms Brown here has a tag for a permanent
floating diversity book club:
http://rachelmanija.livejournal.com/tag/permanent%20floating%20diversity%20book%20club
Which has young adult and some younger books, for ideas.  First couple
books  are Nnedi Okorafor's.  I like her reviews, but the livejournal would
be for an adult to find things for a child, some of her site is NSFW :)

I think someone recommended the Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett.
He also wrote three books about a kid named Johnny (Only You Can Save
Mankind, Johnny and the Dead, Johnny and the Bomb) which has a Black kid,
though not the protagonist.   And while not people of color (that I
noticed) he also wrote a trilogy about gnomes called the Bromeliad
(Truckers, Diggers, Wings).

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Ulrika Isacsson <ulrikamc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest Tamora Pierce - Protector of the Small
> Alison Uttley - A Traveller in Time
> Margaret Mahy - The Changeover
> Robin McKinley - the Chronicles of Damar
> Gail Carson Levine - Ella Enchanted
> Caroline Stevermer - Magic Below Stairs
>
> Martha Wells has a new YA book, but I haven't read it yet so don't know if
> it works for a 10 yo.
>
> //Ulrika

E. G. Houck - http://erikagillian.livejournal.com
"Shut up the door, ...fatigued I said,
Tie up the Knocker; say I'm sick, I'm dead."
Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot - Alexander Pope