[DWJ] recommendations

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sat Jul 27 03:01:35 EDT 2013

All protagonists of color, mostly but not entirely authors of color, good for an advanced reading 10 year old:

Sarah Zettel's Dust Gril and Golden Girl are *great*, and feature a mixed race protagonist.

Nnedi Okorafor's Zahrah the Windseeker is good, and Akata Witch.

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex, of course. Because it is the bomb. Also  a mixed race protagonist. Also the BEST.

Un Lun Dun by China Mievelle is a doorstop of a text (long) but very age-appropriate; great for an advanced 10 year old.

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm, by Nancy Farmer.

The Conch Bearer by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.

Half World, by Hiromi Goto -- a little scary.

Circle of Magic books by Tamora Pierce (two POC among the protagonists)

Cynthia Leitich Smith's fantasy is for older readers but her realistic fiction is good for a 10 year old.

Dragon of the Lost Sea, by Laurence Yep.

A little older:

Nalo Hopkinson's The Chaos is flawed but still quite good. I hope her next children's is more organized, but this one is very enjoyable. A little old for 10, though no older than some of the titles you named. Mixed race protagonist.

If she were a little older I'd recommend the summer prince by alaya dawn johnson, which is gorgeous, but 10 is much too young. Legend by Marie Lu & Fox and Phoenix by Beth Bernobich are also a little old, sigh.

And man, I look forward to the day when she's old enough to read Dia Reeves' *splendid* Bleeding Violet (also about a mixed race teen) but man that book is chock full of sex and violence. And awesome.

Magic or Madness, by Justine Larbalestier, in a couple  of years.