[DWJ] Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 19:59:11 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:54 AM, rohina <rohinax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Otter, I agree that the ending was weaselly if ou look at it that way, but
> what I really thought was that the book is unfinished. Now, this is because
> of explicitly comparing it 'to Fire and Hemlock, where Polly's response to
> finding her memory unreliable is to interrogate that, rather than to go
> "oh, well" and end the book.

I agree with Rohina, in that although I found it frustrating, I didn't
find it weaselly, because (a) the events didn't "not happen", the main
character just doesn't remember them; and (b) I didn't read the book
as a fantasy, per se, but more of a literary novel (who was it who
said "all plots are about looking for something, and in a genre novel
you find it, and in a literary novel you don't"?). So I was frustrated
by the character not remembering, and saw it more as the narrator's
flaw than the author - and I was disappointed that he hadn't taken
more pains to try and remember each time, and build on Lettie's
sacrifice, although maybe that was the point, and the chance he got
was to keep living and making mistakes, damaged by childhood.

Kathleen, who got a stern lecture yesterday from a new acquaintance on
the brilliance and importance of DWJ and why I should read her.