[DWJ] Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Jul 11 15:59:09 EDT 2013

Okay. Pressured by the discussion here, I got the audiobook and listened to
about half of it [the amount I can listen to at one time while doing my
paper routes in the middle of the night]. I got home, decided I absolutely
couldn't wait, bought the Kindle version, and finished the book. So.

I found it absolutely terrifying. That's one of the reasons I had to finish
it right away. And thoroughly icky at times.

I remember a discussion on this list about books that end with the
participants ending their adventure by forgetting it. [Puck of Pook's
Hill, for example.] I remember the consensus being that it was a
weaselly way out. So will somebody tell me how this is different?
I wasn't happy with the ending at all. I can understand that things
happened that would be hard for a child to live with, but our hero
isn't a child any more.

Also, do we ever know whose funeral our hero was attending? It's
not particularly important, I don't think, but did Gaiman ever say?

[Note: It didn't remind me of F&H, because I've never been able to
get through F&H a second time. Personal failing, I guess. And I
wasn't much reminded of TotG, because I haven't read that a whole
bunch of times either. Can I still be on this list? :-) ]

[Oh. I do like Mr. Gaiman, but I'm not sure I want to reread this one.]