[DWJ] Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 10:26:46 EDT 2013

All,

I have not yet read more than the jacket blurb of *Ocean *(since I just got
it last night) but based on that, it did seem *Fire&Hemlock*-ish. However,
I was at a reading last night here in Nashville, and the audience was
allowed to ask questions. I asked if it was influenced by *F&H* and he said
no, though *Time of the Ghost *was likely an influence since *Ocean* is
very much based on his own boyhood memories (something he talked about with
us, but also has posted on various blogs).

It was a lovely reading. We had huge thunderstorms roll through during the
presentation, and he said that if that ever happened, he'd read from the
chapter that occurs during a thunderstorm, which he did. He reads his work
wonderfully, as anyone who's heard the audiobooks knows, and the passage
was very scary (and yes, very *Time*-ish). He then had a surprise guest:
Bella Fleck, who lives in Nashville and who became friends with Neil
through *The Graveyard Book*, came out and did background banjo music to
Neil's reading from the forthcoming *Fortunately, the Milk. *Neil then
stayed to sign books for over a thousand people, and he did it graciously,
though clearly tired from the road trip.

It was a great evening.

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English