[DWJ] Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane

Thomas Thurman thomas at thurman.org.uk
Mon Jul 8 08:43:10 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 04:43:08PM +1000, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
> For me it was Fire and Hemlock-ish, definitely. Others swore by
> Hexwood. My housemate said Time of the Ghost and Deep Secret. Another
> contingent championed Enchanted Glass.

[mild spoilers]

The idea of being told to keep hold of your friend and not let go
reminded me of Tam Lin, and I suspect this was deliberate. But it's
Tam Lin as filtered through Fire and Hemlock, and perhaps it had to
be that way for the author. (Just as a modern tale set within
the Matter of Britain might still be filtered through Malory or
through T H White.)

Thomas Thurman - thomas at thurman.org.uk - http://thurman.org.uk/thomas/
"Who would stoop to be fearless-- like a tree?"